What I have learned in 6 years of working in corporate America and networking over the phone. Lately, I have been setting calls with people I have never met before. The story goes like this:
- You are on the market for a new role.
- You meet with a colleague.
- They say: You should meet with Carina because she may know more about what you are looking for.
- You write down the names.
- You go back to your desk and think: “Now, how do I make an introduction for myself, and connect with this person that knows NOTHING about me.”
Well, luckily for you, I have had to learn this by doing it for 5 years. More recently, a lot more often. I had one issue one time when I scheduled coffee with a senior Latino leader in my company, showed up late and he gave me feedback I will never forget.
Here is what you do:
1. Show up
- On time. This one can seem basic, but it is not.
- Whether it is face to face or over the phone, SHOW UP.
- There is a reason why they are in positions of power
- Know what they do
- What organization they belong
- What business they belong to
- What do you do?
- How do you add value?
- Example of mine: I do due diligence for mergers and acquisitions in support of the $X billion divestment target.
- How did you make the change from X group to X group for example.
- What challenges have you had working in X organization.
- Be clear - what is the connection between this person and how can this person help you? The reason is, senior leaders love to remove barriers for you. You just need to be clear on what you want and how they can help you. Example: I am looking for an operational role and I heard you will have roles coming up in your organization. Some of them would even ask.
Finally, be authentic. The most successful calls I have had were the ones where I connected with the person, they became interested in my story, and offered support in a very natural way.
Get your daily reminder of Point #1 with this beautiful bracelet & Show Up. https://powerlatinashop.com/collections/accesories-1/products/show-up-shine-bangle
With lots of love, Carina.